Study in Progress
Communicating Chemistry in Informal SettingsBoard on Chemical Sciences and Technology
MeetingsCommunicating Chemistry in Informal Settings (closed meeting) - 02/03/14
Communicating Chemistry in Informal Settings - 11/04/13
Communicating Chemistry in Informal Settings - 08/05/13
Statement of Task
The proposed activity will characterize current efforts to communicate chemistry in informal settings and draw on existing research in order to develop a framework for effective communication. This research will be made useful to individuals and groups involved in engaging the public with chemistry by linking it to scientifically based strategies on how best to address naive mental models, common misconceptions, and lack of interest in chemistry. To achieve this goal, this activity will:
- Identify where chemistry is being presented to the public (outside of formal school settings), how it is presented in these settings, the stated goals and objectives of informal chemistry communication, outreach, and education, and the perception of audience needs on which these efforts in engaging the public with chemistry are based.
- Identify effective methods and techniques for engaging the public in chemistry by building on existing literature and studies on effective learning, communication, education, and outreach of science in informal and formal environments, including project and program evaluations, with additional input drawn from fields such as marketing, communications, and entertainment.
- Provide examples, in the form of case studies, of effective evidence-based chemistry communication, outreach, and informal education activities.
- Identify new and emerging communication and education tools and venues that show promise for providing opportunities to improve and expand chemistry communication, outreach, and education to various public audiences over the next five years (identify the current infrastructure of institutions and organizations that can support the chemistry community in its efforts).
- Develop recommendations for research and development on effective practices for informal chemistry communication, outreach, and education.
- Identify appropriate assessment and evaluation frameworks in the area of informal chemistry communication, outreach, and education.